What to capitalize:
The pronoun, I
The names of people and animals
ex: John, Samantha, Lucky
The initials of names
ex: Peter T. Smith, Elizabeth R. Troy
Titles and abbreviations of titles
ex: Mister, Miss, Dr.
Abbreviations after a person’s name
ex: Sr., Jr., III, Ph.D.
Names of things like buildings, companies, and vehicles
ex: Willis Tower, Chase Bank, Subaru cars
Names of places like cities, states, neighborhoods, streets
ex: Chicago, Illinois, Albany Park, Montrose Avenue
First words of greetings and closings of letters
ex: Dear Rebecca,…Sincerely, Mr. Springfield
Names of special events, awards, and degrees
ex: Arts Fair, Dean’s List, Bachelor’s degree
Please capitalize the following sentences:
- my dentist, dr. stevens, said that i had perfect teeth.
- good evening, auntie emma.
- i went to navy pier in chicago to hang out with my classmates from wright college
- the book, to kill a mockingbird, written by harper lee, was awarded the pulitzer prize.
- mrs. peterson was my favorite english teacher at lakeview high school.